1. Nutrition for Healthy Term Infants: Recommendations from Birth to Six Months.
Health Canada, Canadian Paediatric Society, Dietitians of Canada, and Breastfeeding Committee for Canada joint statement.
2. Alberta Health Services Nutrition Guideline: Nutrition for Lactation
This guideline for professional reference only (nurses, physicians and other health professionals) covers the nutrition recommendations for lactating individuals and the evidence for the recommendations.
Nutrition for Lactation (albertahealthservices.ca)
3. Video: The Baby Friendly Initiative: Strengthening Indigenous Families and Communities
A short video (6 min 20 sec) on the importance of breastfeeding and the 10 steps an organization can take to achieve a baby friendly designation to better support mothers in the community.
4. AHS 20-Hour Breastfeeding Course
This CME approved self-paced training course provides additional information to healthcare providers seeking more knowledge on breastfeeding.
AHS 20-Hour Breastfeeding Course | Cumming School of Medicine | University of Calgary (ucalgary.ca)
1. Best Start – Breastfeeding for the Health and Future of our Nation
This resource provides information on Indigenous traditions around breastfeeding. A free PDF download is available here:
2. AHS Healthy Parents Healthy Children
This webpage provides information about the basics of breastfeeding and provides answers to many common questions new parents may have.
Breastfeeding Your Baby - Healthy Parents Healthy Children
3. Signs That Feeding Is Going Well
This poster provides visuals for the assessment of adequate infant feeding.
4. Video: Creator’s Gift to Mothers
The Creator's Gift to Mothers describes the long term benefits of breastfeeding for mothers and babies using indigenous characters & graphics in a First Nations community setting. It encourages young mothers to breastfeed by providing information & dispelling some commonly held myths. 6min 42s.
5. Video: Breastfeeding Positions
This video by Health Link BC provides demonstrations of the various breastfeeding positions along with helpful tips to ensure parent and infant comfort and success.
A Video on Breastfeeding Positions | HealthLink BC
6. Video: Latching Your Baby
This video by Health Link BC provides information on the importance of a proper latch and demonstrates on how to achieve proper latching.
Latching Your Baby - Video | HealthLink BC