This videoconference session will provide an introductory level overview of the common psychoactive substances that people may consume and the personal benefits that they may provide the people who consume them. At the end of the presentation, participants will feel more comfortable in discussing safer consumption openly with people who use substances in order to reduce risk of harm and foster trusting relationships.
- Identify and understand the different categories of psychoactive substances and the physiological effects they produce
- Develop an understanding of why psychoactive substances may be appealing to some people
- Understand the different routes and methods of consumption of psychoactive substances: equipment involved, and safer consumption practices
- Identify the different levels of harm associated with different routes of consumption
- Incorporate safer consumption education into conversations about substance use and interactions with people who use substances
PRESENTED BY: Sara Gill, Educator & Jennifer McLaren, Edmonton Zone Lead. Both speakers are Registered Nurses with provincial AHS Harm Reduction Services Team
The following handouts are available for this session: Safe Substance Use: An Overview of Psychoactive Substances and Methods of Consumption Poster
There is no recording available for this session.